HIGHWAY GUYS

Steve and Peter travel the roads of the U.S. in an RV (called The Beast). Steve is retired and disabled (mobility impaired) and Peter is his service dog. They started their adventure on September 11th ,2003. Home base currently is Los Angeles, California. On the road, they live in a 1993, 28 foot, Allegro Bay class A motor home. Their goal is just to enjoy the thrill of travel and exploration for as long as the Beast and their health allow.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

050320 – Hemet, CA

050320 – Hemet, CA
Sunday
What should have been a leisurely and comfortable drive was not. Traveling thru the desert was a scary and tiresome drive. The beautiful blue sky and high fluffy clouds displayed a seemly nice day but The cross winds were strong and gusty, forcing frequent lane weaving and constant steering wheel wrestling. We took advantage of every rest area just to relax and calm down, but Peter used them for the more basic purposes. By the time we got thru the pass and arrived at our destination I could have used a drink, but I had the booze tucked away and didn’t have the strength to dig it out.
This park is one of my favorites for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it is across the street from a 12-screen movie theater, which gives me a chance to catch up on movies I missed in the past 4 months. Also across the street is a Wal-Mart, and down to street is a shopping mall. Add to that a fully paved park which is Batmobile and walker friendly and a dog run for Peter and we are all happy.
Monday
What a really beautiful day – sunny, warm and dry. Peter likes the dog yard. It’s fenced in with lots of good smells, and he gets to roam and sniff and do his business off leash. The Batmobile 2 is working fine and I get to really give him a good cardio workout.
We get a good breakfast at Denny’s and then off to the movies.
Million Dollar Baby is our first selection. What a great movie. Great story, great actors and great acting. Deserved all the awards it got.
It brought back memories of my dad, who was a prize fighter in his youth, before he married my mom. He used to tell me that in the Bronx, where he grew up, guys were always getting into street fights, so he figured he might as well get paid for fighting. In those days, he got about $50 a fight, but by the time his manager got his cut and expenses were deducted, he was lucky to get $25, but it was something. In those days, most of the professional boxers were either Jewish or Italian, and according to newspaper clippings I found in my mom’s scrapbook, he was one of the up and coming Jewish boxers – he could have be a contender. He had an impressive record of over 50 professional bouts with only 3 loses and more than 10 wins by KO. Mom made him quit when they married and he spent about 5 years as a welder at the Brooklyn Navy Yard and the rest of his life working in the garment industry in Manhattan.
I remember how we used to watch boxing on TV every week as he would do a running commentary and critique. He also taught boxing at the local community centers and of course you know who was his designated sparing partner – yup –me.
He taught me how to hit a speed bag – and I got pretty good – and whenever my brother (4 years younger) and I would start fighting, he would usher us into the basement and put boxing gloves on us and we went at it. They were really big, soft gloves, so we got tired before we ever got hurt.
He worked out in that basement every day of his life, jumping rope, exercise bike and shadow boxing. He was always in great shape.
After the movie, we ran over to Wal-Mart and got a big disappointment. It was closed – for good. Moved to new location – ½ mile away. Put a real crimp in my plans but not fatal. The good news was that an Applebee’s opened on the corner, right near a Pizza Hut – so we knew we wouldn’t starve to death.
Besides, we have to finish off what we have in the fridge and freezer before we get home.
Tuesday
Movie today was the AVIATOR – wow – another great movie – I wonder who Scorcese has to sleep with in this town to get an Oscar. Now I’m thinking that it should have at least been a tie with Million Dollar Baby.
Wednesday
Movie for the day was a Bruce Willis action flick called HOSTAGE. It was predictable but good action and good acting. Not too gory and a decent plot.
The weather is turning and rain has been drizzling on and off since last night. Tomorrow sounds like more of the same.
Thursday
The weather got the best of us today – heavy rain – all day. I did not like the look on Peter’s face as he stared out the window at the storm.He was not a happy pup – he knew that his walks would be short and no outdoor playtime today. That means I have to see his “woe is me”, sorrowful look all day. I hope it’s dry tomorrow – I can’t take 2 days of him like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home