HIGHWAY GUYS

Steve and Peter travel the roads of the U.S. in an RV (called The Beast). Steve is retired and disabled (mobility impaired) and Peter is his service dog. They started their adventure on September 11th ,2003. Home base currently is Los Angeles, California. On the road, they live in a 1993, 28 foot, Allegro Bay class A motor home. Their goal is just to enjoy the thrill of travel and exploration for as long as the Beast and their health allow.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

060316 - Ramona, CA

3/16/2006
Ramona, California
Day 1


The Highway Guys have been approved for departure; cleared for takeoff; released from their bonds of boredom; their shackles of stagnation; etc, you get the idea.

It's Thursday morning, and after an heroic effort by my nephew Kurt who did all the heavy lifting to get the Beast loaded, we are rolling down the big road to adventure. This may come as a shock to some of you; with all my prior planning for each trip that I spend many hours on, I wind up ignoring or changing those plans most of the time. The planning is just my way of channeling my excitement but by no means indicates my intention of sticking to it. I am usually influenced and guided or in some cases misguided, by the suggestions of friends and strangers I meet along the way.

Although my internist and cardiologist both told Peter that my heart and coronaries were OK and I was in no danger, he still wasn't convinced so he signed up for a CPR course. The instructor told me he was doing great until he saw the part of the film about mouth to mouth. she said he just stared at the screen, shaking his head from side to side as if to say "No Way". The only way he'd do that would be if I had a mouth full of kibble.

As the gas gauge approached ¼ I knew I should fill up soon since we only get 8-1/2 mpg.
We filled the tank without consequence, unless you think that $142 for 52 gallons is a consequence.
While standing at a light about 5 minutes later, I discovered that there is a sliding scale for the term "nice person".
A bicyclist rode by and shouted into my window that my gas cap was dangling and continued to peddle by. Apparently he felt that his simple announcement qualified as his random act of kindness for the day. Being unable to get out and screw it back in with the light changing, I drove a few blocks at which time I spotted a large church parking lot and found someone who happily put my gas cap back in place for me.

Our first leg takes us south along the ocean to Ramona, just inland from Oceanside. The weather is cool, with good visibility and a bright sky. Traffic was moving well most of the time and we were making good time until we turned off the highway. The road got progressively smaller, curvier, and slower and the elevation was increasing and we climbed into the mountains.

Many campsites take liberties with their name and description. Many use the term "resort" without justification and this is one of them. I am becoming an advocate for the plight of the handicapped and am becoming more aware and vocal about many barriers to equal access.
I didn't mind the few steps up to the main office, but the park is a series of plateaus with steep roads. There was a gate with a keypad on a pole, but it was impossible for me to reach, even if I hung out the door. Fortunately, the driver behind me came to my assistance.

Our campsite is fine and Peter immediately claimed the tree outside our door. The weather is cool with predictions of 30's at night but we are prepared.
One disappointment, but partially anticipated; no cellphone or web signals. May be able to get a roaming phone call out if the sun and moon are in the right places and I pray real hard, so don't be upset if you get this as a late email.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home