HIGHWAY GUYS

Steve and Peter travel the roads of the U.S. in an RV (called The Beast). Steve is retired and disabled (mobility impaired) and Peter is his service dog. They started their adventure on September 11th ,2003. Home base currently is Los Angeles, California. On the road, they live in a 1993, 28 foot, Allegro Bay class A motor home. Their goal is just to enjoy the thrill of travel and exploration for as long as the Beast and their health allow.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

070930-Peter's Habits


Peter has developed some new habits that I am not thrilled about and he doesn’t seem to be willing to change. Whenever he enters the Beast, he goes to check his food dish, drinks some water and then goes directly to my bed and makes himself comfortable. Also, as soon as I get out of bed in the morning, he gets on it. I think he got the idea from watching some World War 2 navy movies. Since there was shortage of space on small ships and especially submarines, sailors often had to share sleeping areas. With 3 shifts of duty every 24 hours, when one sailor would go off duty, he would wake up his relief and would then take over his bed. This process was called “Hot Bunking”, because the bed was always occupied and never got cold. Regarding Peter’s new habit - What I am wondering is:… who is keeping the bed warm for who ?.
Next – when we are traveling – Peter’s usual battle station has been on the floor of the passenger seat, looking out a small window at the floor level. He was supposed to looking out for police cars and dog food stores. Just when I thought he was trusting my driving skills (he no longer wears his crash helmet and flack vest), he has now decided he wants to be near the emergency door (the driver’s door).There are only 2 doors on the Beast ( the patio door and driver’s door). As soon as I set the beast in motion, he hurries beneath my legs and positions himself under my seat, nuzzled up against the door. When I try to stop him, he puts up such a fight that I decided it’s better than not knowing where he is or having him walking along the dashboard. Since I drive with my hand controls, I don’t have to worry about stepping on the pedals. Once in a while, I think he likes to scare me by stepping on the gas as he shifts his position, but I just throw it into neutral and wait for him to get comfortable.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home