HIGHWAY GUYS

Steve and Peter travel the roads of the U.S. in an RV (called The Beast). Steve is retired and disabled (mobility impaired) and Peter is his service dog. They started their adventure on September 11th ,2003. Home base currently is Los Angeles, California. On the road, they live in a 1993, 28 foot, Allegro Bay class A motor home. Their goal is just to enjoy the thrill of travel and exploration for as long as the Beast and their health allow.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

100728 - Afton, Wy

July 28th, 2010
BeLong Pet Rescue
Afton, Wyoming


Deciding to go to Afton Wyoming so Danny could visit his old home and the woman that raised him to be so smart and handsome was a major decision. Afton is not near any major highway or interstate so the driving is scenic, but labor intensive with lots of hills, valleys, and twisty roads. Nevertheless I decided it was something that should be done.
I had emailed Bonnie that we were coming, but unknown to me; she was having Internet problems and never got the message. The morning of the day we planned on going, I tried calling, but only got an answering machine. I could only guess that either they were away on vacation or something had happened.
I did not look forward to driving 3 hours to arrive at an empty house, but if I didn’t try, I might miss the opportunity. Off we went with positive expectation.
When we arrive at the property, a couple of dogs rushed out to greet us which I took as a good sign, since I knew someone had to be around to take care of them. Calling the house still got me the answering machine.
We sat patiently in the RV and after about 30 minutes, Bonnie came around from the back of the house and greeted us. She explained her computer problems and said she had been spending time with the horses for the afternoon.
Danny immediately went crazy when he saw her and I had to let him out before he made a hole in the side of the Beast trying to get to her.

We spent a few hours talking about Danny, animals and events. Unfortunately, the bad economy leaves little to be spared, and She and Buzz are forced to downsize; selling their ranch for a smaller property and were actually in the process of packing up for the move. It may limit her ability to continue her noble commitment to save orphaned animals, but she has done a wonderful job of it so far, so I believe she has earned her place in heaven.

As we drove away, I noticed the:”for sale” sign and sighed.
It was a 2-1/2 hour drive to our Idaho Falls Wal-Mart boondock de joure, and I wanted to make it before nightfall since my cataracts seem to be getting worse.
I know Danny enjoyed the reunion with Bonnie, I just hope he appreciated my efforts. He is such a great dog and companion; I really wanted to surprise him.
At least he didn’t insist on staying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home