HIGHWAY GUYS

Steve and Peter travel the roads of the U.S. in an RV (called The Beast). Steve is retired and disabled (mobility impaired) and Peter is his service dog. They started their adventure on September 11th ,2003. Home base currently is Los Angeles, California. On the road, they live in a 1993, 28 foot, Allegro Bay class A motor home. Their goal is just to enjoy the thrill of travel and exploration for as long as the Beast and their health allow.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

060323 - Ramona - Vista

3/18/2006
RAMONA, CA

today was the rain they predicted yesterday. We tried to cover up the rat-a-tat-tat of the rain on the rood with loud music but it didn't have much effect on Peter's cabin fever. He really doesn't like being cooped up and if he's unhappy, so is everybody he lives with.

We found some breaks in the downpour to stretch our legs and Peter did his geological survey of the area.

This evening we attended a pot luck dinner. One good thing about RV women - they know how to cook. We had a nice variety of dishes as well as deserts. We contributed a six pack.

3/19/2006
Ramona, CA

With the rain tapering off and only intermittent showers, we got to stretch our legs.
The temperature runs from 30's at night to high 50's daytime. Peter seems to enjoy the colder weather, and doesn't even bother to put on his coat when he goes out unless I insist.

The cold weather also takes alot of power out of the Batmobile's batteries - requiring more frequent charging. Maybe the extra weight it's pulling around has some effect on it too.

3/21/2006
Ramona. CA

yesterday was a predicted rainy day with showers on and off. I did discover one advantage to this cold, wet weather - no flying insects.

Early this morning the sun was shining bright in our bedroom window. We hit the snooze and rolled over and were awakened to the sound of rain on the roof, but it soon disappeared and the sun is bright again with high white clouds in a blue sky. One ominous sign of hope – we were bothered by our first fly.

3/23/06
Vista, CA

Back in the 70's, as I was just starting my practice in Century City, I volunteered to work at the Los Angeles Free Clinic. At the time it was located in an old, dilapidated building on Fairfax Blvd just across the street from the CBS studios, next to Kelbo's Polynesian Restaurant. That was where and when I first met Dr. Victor Wechter. He was an Ophthalmology Resident also volunteering. We spent a few years sharing great experiences in and out of the clinic. Eventually our lives took different paths and we lost touch.

Leaving Ramona Canyon RVP, we drove to Vista, A to visit with an old friend I hadn't seen for almost 20 years.
2 weeks ago I had some basal cell lesions excised from my forehead leaving large incisions and lots of sutures to be removed. My dermatologist was surprised when I told him I would be on the road when the sutures were due to be removed but as luck would have it, there I was in the office of Dr. Victor Wechter, the Ophthalmologist, having my sutures removed.

His home was about 5 miles away, so I followed him and parked the Beast in the garage area. We spent the afternoon and evening with his family - sons Jonathan -13 and David -18, and beautiful wife of 20 years - Lenore.
They also have a avocado farm that Vic and the boys work at, and I was given a bag of them as a departing gift.

In my youth, when my parents would have old friends come to visit, I would listen dutifully to them tell and re-tell stories of their past.

Now I understand what they were feeling. That sense of history and connection to the past was a form of validation and confirmation of their existence and probably even their value in life.

Maybe it's just me, but I appreciate each and every friendship I have ever made and cherish the memories of those that could have been long forgotten but aren't.

Peter got to play outside with their dog, Coco, and went off leash for the evening. We slept in the Beast overnite and headed out in the morning for El Centro.
Till next time,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home