HIGHWAY GUYS

Steve and Peter travel the roads of the U.S. in an RV (called The Beast). Steve is retired and disabled (mobility impaired) and Peter is his service dog. They started their adventure on September 11th ,2003. Home base currently is Los Angeles, California. On the road, they live in a 1993, 28 foot, Allegro Bay class A motor home. Their goal is just to enjoy the thrill of travel and exploration for as long as the Beast and their health allow.

Monday, December 15, 2008

Thank You Fairyduster

It was a pleasure to read about Peter and yourself, what a great idea to have chosen to embark on an adventure like this. I too suffer from one form of Peripheral Neuropathy for a while now. Your journal is probably helping a few people and I'm sure you and Peter will be able to enjoy many more beautiful moments! Thank you for sharing! Have a great holiday season! Posted by *Fairyduster to HIGHWAY GUYS at 9:48 PM
**********************************************************************************

I wanted to share with you this response I received about one of my blog entries.

I occasionally receive notes like this one and each time it give me great joy and pleasure to know that some stranger has taken the time to read and respond to something I have written for mostly my own self satisfaction.

While many have kindly reported that that they enjoy my tales of travel, I find it a form of therapy and catharsis. Favorable comments are just like icing on the cake.

I assure you that when I decided to roam around the country’s roadways, I had no grand illusion of becoming a poster boy for either the disabled or the RV enthusiasts. My mission was small and personal, but I do realize that to some it has become a symbol of motivation and accomplishment. The comments about my decision to travel have ranged from “Brave” to “Stupid” and I take no issue or offense to any of them. I tend to think in terms of adventuresome and challenging.

I readily admit I have made some rather intelligent decisions in my life as well as some awful ones. Their value can only be judged in retrospect. “What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger” I have been told. Would I have chosen this path if I wasn’t disabled? A moot question since I would probably have been to busy working to think about it.
Remember: we plan …God laughs.
For now, the only direction we can choose is forward … into the unknown, and so forward we will go until we can no more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home