HIGHWAY GUYS

Steve and Peter travel the roads of the U.S. in an RV (called The Beast). Steve is retired and disabled (mobility impaired) and Peter is his service dog. They started their adventure on September 11th ,2003. Home base currently is Los Angeles, California. On the road, they live in a 1993, 28 foot, Allegro Bay class A motor home. Their goal is just to enjoy the thrill of travel and exploration for as long as the Beast and their health allow.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

090521 - DUCKS

May 21, 2009
Pahrump, NV
Terrible’s Lakeside RVP

DUCKS

The man-made lake is a great attraction and the center of activity for adults and children who play at the beach area, and swim and boat in the water.

In addition, there is a small family that calls the lake their home and frequent it daily. They are a family of ducks. I don’t know where they stay at night, but in the morning, this group of quackers can be seen wandering the park. They occasionally stop at campsites where they probably have been fed in the past, hoping for another meal. When their tour of the grounds is complete, they head for the lake.


There is one duck called Goldie, who is fawn colored. Most of the boy ducks seem to follow her.
There are a pair of white ducks I call the bandits because of a red band that covers their eyes resembling a burglar’s mask. They seem like a married couple and tend to avoid the main group most of the time.

The remainder of the group of about 5 or 6 ducks appear to be of the mallard type – dark brown bodies and green-black necks and head. They quack and waddle around the park and are so cute I could watch them parade for hours.

I think most of the others are boys but I am only guessing, because I have no way of determining the sex of a duck. In fact, if your recall, when Walt Disney drew Donald and his nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie, the never wore pants. Perhaps he didn’t know how to tell the sex of a duck either.

While watching the group one day, I noticed that one of them was not waddling like the others.
He seemed to be hopping or limping, but he managed to keep up with the group and participated in all their activities.

As they approached the waters edge, some jumped into the lake and some just settled on cool grass under the shade of the trees. I followed “Hoppy” and observed him more closely, curious as to the reason for his unusual gait. At first it was differcult to detect in the grass, then to my surprise, I could see that his right leg was merely a short stump without the large webbed foot that adorned the other leg. but he managed to use his right stump for balance and waddled and hopped on his left foot for propulsion. From its appearance, I am guessing that this was a birth defect although I can’t rule out an accident.

Regardless, I was awe stuck at the adaptability, perseverance and determination that Hoppy had utilized to overcome his handicap and remain an active member of his family.

Either by birth or by accident, we know that imperfections occur to all species, but unlike us humans, in the animal kingdom there seems to be a lack of sympathy, guilt, patronage or charity for the disabled.
They are driven by the need to survive and prosper or be left behind.

I do not know his age or position in the pecking (or quacking) order in the family, but he appears young and strong. I did not see him in the lake but I’ll bet that his one good webbed foot works as well as two when it has to.

This is my first time visiting this park and I don’t know when or if I will ever return, but I will always remember Hoppy and the lesson he has taught me about coping with and overcoming disabilities in life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nYmOoJmZaQ&feature=email

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home