HIGHWAY GUYS

Steve and Peter travel the roads of the U.S. in an RV (called The Beast). Steve is retired and disabled (mobility impaired) and Peter is his service dog. They started their adventure on September 11th ,2003. Home base currently is Los Angeles, California. On the road, they live in a 1993, 28 foot, Allegro Bay class A motor home. Their goal is just to enjoy the thrill of travel and exploration for as long as the Beast and their health allow.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

090923-Cape Blanco SP, Oregon

September 13, 2009
Cape Blanco State Park, Oregon

As soon as the Labor Day holiday weekend ended, Mother Nature changed the rainy weather to warm and sunny;. Some sense of humor she has, huh?

Oregon has one of the best state park systems for RV travelers and we love to take advantage of it. The parks are clean, with well paved roads and RV pads with grassy and tree lined sites with not a piece of gravel to be seen.. Living in a beautiful green forest is a great way to spend the time if you can. The park supplies the electricity and water for $`16 a day and there is a dump station to empty our tanks.

Even after Labor Day, there are lots of people camping, and many of them have dogs. Danny gets to meet new friends all the time and sometimes I just accidentally let go of his leash and let him run around for exercise.

The Oregon coastline is such a joy to experience with its pristine atmosphere. It’s so clean and clear that cell phone and web signals are also absent. At least as far as Sprint is concerned. I have noticed someone talking on their cell phone one day but did not ask them who their carrier was – I knew it wasn’t Sprint.

Our campground is located on a cape of land jutting out into the Pacific Ocean, high on a cliff. It is appropriately named Cape Blanco (Land protruding into ocean with nothing around it … Blank) It sounds like a great place to build a lighthouse, so they did … back in the late 1800s and it is still standing today. The view from the base of the lighthouse is majestic – did not have the ability to climb the hundreds of steps up to the lighthouse lamp. No handicap elevator.

Unfortunately, the lighthouse does not have a cell phone tower, and so we get no bars on our phone or wireless connection card.
However, like every law of science, there are exceptions and modifications. Just like we thought there was no gravity in space – lo and behold – they discover there is micro gravity – not enough to keep your pants from falling down, buJustify Fullt just enough to disprove the absence of.
So, while there may seem to be no signal to receive, every once in a while, I will get a symbol on the screen showing some kind of activity but not enough to use. A couple of times this week I have gotten a message on my screen that I have a new voice mail, but there is no way for me to use my phone to find out what it is. One day, while sitting around reading, one of my phones (I have 2 with 2 different numbers for back up) vibrated and my Treo smart phone had a string of emails that I could read but could not respond to. I noticed that there was the hint of a bar on the screen so I attempted to make a phone call and of course the person I called was not home and I got their answering machine and then the bar was gone again like the breeze that carried it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home