HIGHWAY GUYS

Steve and Peter travel the roads of the U.S. in an RV (called The Beast). Steve is retired and disabled (mobility impaired) and Peter is his service dog. They started their adventure on September 11th ,2003. Home base currently is Los Angeles, California. On the road, they live in a 1993, 28 foot, Allegro Bay class A motor home. Their goal is just to enjoy the thrill of travel and exploration for as long as the Beast and their health allow.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

100920 - Medford, Oregon -Oregon RV repairs

September 20, 2010
Medford, Oregon -Oregon RV repairs


The past 3 days are none that I would like to repeat anytime soon.

As Friday night came and went, so did the rain, and it was a healthy storm that kept on giving for the entire weekend. It made us stay indoors most of the time and although I could use my computer for entertainment, it gave Danny cabin fever.

Mid Monday morning, Mark, the mechanic, started to test the electrical system. I was sure that his removal of the anti-theft device was the cause of the problem, but he just grunted and continued checking. Things started to go from bad to worse. He declared that he discovered the basic problem.

Somehow, the belt from the air conditioner had sliced thru a plastic conduit that housed several wires and destroyed them. Of course they were wires that led to the dashboard gauges (speedometer, gas, temperature, etc). There were 8 wires in total that were cut and he and Dave declared that they had never seen anything like it before. I was thrilled.

If that wasn’t bad enough, he also pronounced my alternator dead, and needed to be replaced.
The two of them worked on the repairs the rest of the morning, quit for lunch and then into the afternoon. When they were finished and I paid the bill ($473), I was unhappy and tired. There was no point in hitting the road to look for a place to stay so I decided to spend one more night in the parking lot and set out in the morning. At least the rainstorm had passed and the weather had warmed up with a bright sunny day.
By they way … that coolant leak I had mentioned – turns out it was a potentional problem. A small crack at the petcock valve at the bottom of the radiator. However, Mark put in a small bottle of sealer and told me it would stop the leak and keep me safe for about a year or 2 at which time I should plan on replacing the radiator. Cost of the sealant was 2 @ $1.99 each..

tomorrow I still have to go back to Sprint to pick up my replacement phone and stop at Petsmart for lots of dog food and some doggie treats. He deserves it for being a good boy thru this past ordeal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home