HIGHWAY GUYS

Steve and Peter travel the roads of the U.S. in an RV (called The Beast). Steve is retired and disabled (mobility impaired) and Peter is his service dog. They started their adventure on September 11th ,2003. Home base currently is Los Angeles, California. On the road, they live in a 1993, 28 foot, Allegro Bay class A motor home. Their goal is just to enjoy the thrill of travel and exploration for as long as the Beast and their health allow.

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

050104 - Ozona

050104 - Ozona

The next morning, with about ½ tank of gas we headed for Ozona, in the middle of nowhere but one of the few RVP between here and San Antonio. Just out of habit, I set my GPS computer program.

I found that using a GPS while traveling across Texas is as entertaining and useful as staring at a radio-producing nothing but static. 250 miles of watching a horizontal blue line with an ”X” in a circle traveling from left to right over and over again.

Speaking of radio, not even an NPR station – but fortunately I had some books on tape to cut thru the border.

As we passed a sign that said – Ozona –15 miles – the engine sputtered and threatened to fail. I looked at the gas gauge and it was on the empty line. In the past I took that to mean careful – but apparently that scenario has been changed to tough luck – you’re out of gas.

I cancelled the cruise control, dropped my speed to about 45 and gently teased the hand control for the gas and managed to keep the engine from stalling. As we approached an incline our speed dropped to almost 30 and I feared we would not crest it but we did and I slipped into neutral for some gliding.

As we exited the interstate, the engine quit but I kept it rolling and actually was able to restart it and coast into a gas station. We took 56.6 gallons – for a 60-gallon tank.

What have I learned from this experience? Always keep your tank topped off when driving thru Texas.

The Bar Circle RVP is also one we stayed at before. It reminds me of a cross between a drive-in movie and a Howard Johnson’s. I’ll try to send a photo.

WE had dinner at the truck stop restaurant next door and got great service that you can only get from a truck stop waitress who treated everyone like she’s your mother – telling you what to and what not to order and making sure you finish everything on your plate.

My back seems to be improving and healing, slowly but surely. It still hurts and sitting up in bed hurts and bending over is not a thrill but less pain and disability than before.

Tomorrow we hope to be in San Antonio and stay 3 or 4 days, but don’t know if we will do any sightseeing.

Oh, by the way, we crossed another time zone, so will lose another precious hour of sleep in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home